Skip to main content

Creature From the Haunted Sea (1961)

I'm back after a small hiatus due to being sick with the third of my "Terrorpolooza 2012" movie reviews.  One thing I learned is that while horror and comedy often work together, sometimes, it doesn't work as well as it could've.

A group of gangsters have helped a South American dictator to escape a revolution with a strong box full of gold.  They hope to gain possession of it by using a legend of a local sea monster to scare off the dictator and his guards.  All goes according to plan until an American spy... and the real sea monster take an interest in the group.

"Creature From the Haunted Sea" is a Roger Corman horror comedy that- as was typical of Corman films, shot in about five days.  To be perfectly honest, you can tell that it was a rushed production.

The story is certainly enough to provide a decent amount of comedic fodder to go with the horror, though the humour far outweighs the horror.  Unfortunately, due to a few of the characters, and unnecessary subplots, the story felt rather disjointed and unfocused.  I found myself wanting the characters to stay on track with the main plot, rather than go off on their silly tangents.  The "romantic" subplots of two of the characters finding "love" with two island dwellers were especially irritating to me.  Now, there ARE some decent moments of humour that had me chuckling, but they were brought about by only two characters in the movie, and the Creature itself.

Other than the character of Renzo Capetto and the Creature, I found myself either indifferent or annoyed with the characters.  Mary-Belle wasn't bad to look at, but not very interesting, and Sparks was a little irritating.  The most annoying character- and the one that served the least purpose to boot was Pete Peterson, Jr- who communicates soley with ANIMAL noises.  Yeah, you heard me- "animal noises".  You can probably guess why I got annoyed with the character rather quickly.  I liked the dictator because he was serious in a humorous fashion, and provided a nice bit of political satire to the movie.

Of the actors, the best were Antony Carbone as Renzo, and Betsy Jones-Moreland as Mary-Belle.  Edmundo Rivera Álvarez was enjoyable as well as the dictator.  The remaining cast was what I would consider between subpar (in the case of Beach Dickerson who played the animal noise making Pete) to average.  Of course, the five day shooting schedule could be a factor, so I'm willing to be a little more forgiving... though not to the animal guy.

When I saw the Creature, I wondered if Christopher Mihm (see my review of "The Monster of Phantom Lake") had seen this movie when he designed the Monster in his own movie.  There are some serious similarities between them- especially the ping pong eyes, and the moss covering.  I couldn't help but laugh and enjoy the look and antics of the Creature as it wittled the cast down.  The final scene of the movie with the Creature was what I would consider the punchline to the whole joke of a movie that preceeded.

When all is said and done, "Creature From the Haunted Sea" is a silly movie that drags in a couple of parts, but has some moments of fun and laughs.  Students of Roger Corman films would probably enjoy it, but I won't be watching it again.  I'm placing it in The Bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is