Skip to main content

Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981)


A couple of months ago, I sat down and watch the "Omen" series of movies.  Since then, I've reviewed, the 1976 & 2006 releases of the first movie, as well as 1978's "Damien: Omen II".  This month, I'll be reviewing "Omen III: The Final Conflict".

Damien Thorn is grown up and appointed as the US Ambassador to Great Britian.  When an astronomical alignment occurs, Thorn realizes the time of The Second Coming is upon him, and he puts plans into operation to prevent it from happening.  Soon, Thorn and a group of priests are in a confrontation that will lead to mankind's destiny resting in the balance...

"Omen III: The Final Conflict" isn't  a bad movie.  I wouldn't say that it's a classic, but there are some things that I really liked.

The story is fairly solid, and well paced.  It gives all the characters a chance to be developed, and play a significant role in the events taking place.  Very few of the characters are filler.  Damien, Harvey Dean, Kate Reynolds and Father DeCarol all well formed, unique characters that were quite believable as people.  The only flaw to it is that it's not the rapid, in your face sort of story that appeals to much of the mainstream theatre audience these days.

The acting was good- with Sam Neil doing a terrific job as Damien.  He looked great in the role, and brought such charm and evil to the character.  Lisa Harrow as Reynolds was good as well- her portrayal of her character helped to make me care about what happened to her.

The camera work is plain and simple, but quite effective at times.  Like the story though, the camera edits are slower paced than what you'd find in most of the movies produced lately.

My most serious problem with this movie was the portrayal of The Second Coming at the end.  I was disappointed that they used a rather stereotypical image of Christ, rather than something a little more orignal.  I felt that they had simply taken his image from a painting and used that.  I also felt that the Scripture text at the end was unnecessary as well, and gave the movie a bit of a preachy overtone, which turned me off a little.

While I DID enjoy watching "Omen III: The Final Conflict," the ending and its execution causes me to put it in "The Bad".

Comments

  1. It's odd I just don't see Sam Neil as Damien. Given I have not seen this and from what you said he's good in it but just as a first instinct I would not think to cast him.

    Great review, too bad it feel in The Bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly if the ending hadn't felt "preachy" to me, I probably would have put it in "The Good".

      Sam Neil IS great in the role.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is