Skip to main content

Jack The Ripper (2003)


I've been wanting to add some game reviews to "The Corner of Terror" for awhile now, but didn't think I had enough horror/supernatural themed games in my collection.  Besides, I had my hands full over the past year with doing movies and books.  Well, I finally decided to add games to the list of things to talk about... and I don't think you can get any more horrifying or eerier than going against the serial killer that all others are measured against... Jack the Ripper...

"Jack the Ripper" was developed by Galilea Games, and released by The Adventure Company in 2003.  The game features you as a New York reporter who is on the trail of a killer whose modus operandi is the same as infamous killer who disappeared thirteen years previously.

This game is a simple point and click adventure, and is very easy to play.  The graphics are pretty good, and the cut scenes are well scripted and shot.  One reason I like point and click adventures is that they rely more on a good story, and character development to keep the player interested than a twitch reaction heavy first person shooter.  Also, you can take your time, and think the puzzles and problems through, with the story progression being your reward.

The puzzles you have to solve along the way are fairly straight forward and common ones found in this type of game, but do serve a purpose to move the story forward, unlike many where the puzzles are simply there to keep you from getting bored.  My only complaint with the puzzles where you have to find a certain item to add to your inventory is that a few of the items are in such an out of the way spot that you can't click on it properly the first ten times or so.  Seeing the item I need to click... and not being able to find the "sweet spot" to pick it up gave me some frustrating moments.

The story itself was interesting and moved along nicely.  There was tension at the parts where you know something's about to happen and you're waiting for it to happen.  One of the best parts is where you come back to your office to find a "present" on your desk.  You KNOW something bad is in there, but you have to open it up anyways.  The cut scene at that part is just great.  Another favorite scene for me is when you see Jack the Ripper about to slash a woman across the street from you... and all you can do is try to take a photo of the killer.  I was hooked on the story right up to the end.  I was a little disappointed in the ending though only because it felt a little cliched.

While I enjoyed the game as a whole, The frustration I felt in some spots due to hard to click items, and the ending drops "Jack the Ripper" into "The Bad"...

Do you have a horror game, book, or movie you want to see me review?  Drop me a line at cornerofterror@hotmail.ca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is